Jan 13, 2010

CES 2010: Sayonara Hotel TV. Hello Boxee Beta.


IMGP0130IMGP0128IMGP0371IMGP0372IMGP0375IMGP0142IMGP0147IMGP0148IMGP0139IMGP0140
Earlier in Day 2 of CES, I saw a Boxee Beta live demonstration powered by D-Link Boxee Box, and thought to myself, finally, Boxee Beta is here. The user interface was completely revamped with new features such as movie cover thumbnails, a Boxee Browser, hardware acceleration, Adobe Flash 10.1 compatibility, sexier icons, and intuitive navigation control. Excellent.
I packed my Nvidia ION powered HTPC on the flight down to Las Vegas to handle my computing needs--I needed to view, edit, and upload photos with Adobe Bridge, Photoshop, and FlickrSync. I did not bring a monitor because the LCD TV at the hotel would have a HDMI input, so all I needed to bring was a wireless keyboard, power adapter, and HDMI cable for a fully functional MTPC - Mobile Theater PC. 
Now fast forward. It's the end of the day, my feet and back are sore from all the walking, and I want to sit back and relax. I hooked up the HDMI connector and plugged in my box. Then, I connected to their wireless and installed Boxee Beta for Windows 7. Next thing you know, I've sunken into bed while eating a late-night snack, and getting some laughs with Stephen Colbert streaming over WiFi. Great way to end CES 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment