Dec 12, 2008

My love/hate relationship with Windows 2008 UAC

Windows 2008 Server User Account Control. UAC provides unauthorized access, such as spyware and viruses, to the startup, registry, and services. There's a pop up that asks for permission if you want to modify certain system settings or install software.

When converting Windows 2008 Server to a "Workstation environment," at first, I found UAC annoying because I was experiencing UAC for the first time while setting up my PC. Who would want popups every time you make a change to your operating system, right? I do, I want those popups. Here's why:

Benefits of UAC:
1. A more secure working environment
2. Protection against spyware and viruses
3. Not really a benefit, but UAC only gets in the way during the setup process of a new machine

Conclusion:
UAC can be a bit of an annoyance at first, but after correctly setting up my PC, I haven't seen UAC since.

Bonus reading material:
Make Vista Launch UAC Restricted Programs in Startup:
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=616

.

No comments:

Post a Comment